www-modproxy-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: modproxy load balancer
Date Wed, 18 Jun 2003 08:25:49 GMT
Bill Stoddard wrote:

> Thinking out loud..... Should this be a hook or an optional function?  A
> hook could be useful for iterating across multiple load balancing
> modules, routing requests for different urls using different algorithms;
> would this be a common configuration?

If given many options, I would want the ability to select more than one.
Even though in 90% of the cases the default round robin may suffice, I
would probably be annoyed if the last 10% of the time I needed the
ability and it was not available to me.

> The load balance module would
> also need to be told when the request was complete (it needs to keep
> track of how many active connections there are to each backend machine)
> and when an ip address was unsuccessfully tried (so that ip address can
> be taken out of the list of candidates). The former can be done by
> registering a cleanup against the request pool. The latter could be done
> with a callback function, optional function or hook back into the load
> balance module.

All of these can be achieved by registering hooks.

For example, a simple DNS round robin module would hook into the "give
me an URL I'll give you some IP addresses" bit, but would leave the
other hooks alone.

A more advanced backhand module might do the URL to IP translation, then
would hook into the end of the request to gather stats about that
request for it's own purposes.

I would also like to specify the order in which the modules are tried
somehow, in the same way that mod_cache chooses either memory or disk
for its cache.

Regards,
Graham
minfrin@sharp.fm		"There's a moon