www-modproxy-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Musselman <and...@cwu.EDU>
Subject Re: Question about the list
Date Wed, 17 Aug 2005 22:33:34 GMT
Hi Ian,

Thanks for the response; I'll try posing my question on that list as
well.

I will try to get apache's auth stuff to work with proxying; the thing
is, I want users to be able to point to http://my.proxy.edu:81, get
authenticated, be able to select a printer address from a list, and then
have their traffic go through the proxy, to the printer, and back.

For another project I've used a cookie scheme similar to what you
suggested, but our network person wants to make it more secure.

I'll keep working on it, and thank you again.

Best,
Andrew

Andrew Musselman
andrew@cwu.edu
>>> Ian.Holsman@cnet.com 08/17/05 12:51 PM >>>
Hi Andrew.
I'm sure these kind of questions are best answered on httpd-
users@apache.org.

there are two options here.
you can either use apaches authentication handling, which will prompt
you with a dialog for a user/password
OR
you can use rewrite and do a cookie check which redirects non-cookied
people to a special page which does the LDAP
lookup and cookie setting.

Some people @ columbia wrote a module called mod_auth_pamacea does
this I believe. the only caveats I see with it are
:- it is GPL
:- the session manager it uses is file based, which won't scale
(their words) but you could change the session manager to use
    a mysql DB or somesuch if you need scalability

regards
Ian

--
Ian Holsman