www-repository mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Maven and repository@apache.org
Date Wed, 05 Jan 2005 16:04:17 GMT

Tim O'Brien wrote:

>>From: Nicola Ken Barozzi [mailto:nicolaken@apache.org]
>>This is something that is already present in the JJar[1] project.
>>
>>Wouldn't it suffice to just tell the system in what
>>repository to look for to get a certain artifact?
>
> Sure, you could do this, but then you get into the problem of
> management.  The early internet became unwieldy because every /etc/hosts
> was explicit, then came DNS.

I kinda disagree. Eclipse 'forces' you to enter the http of the
repository from which you can get a plugin, and AFAIK it has not become
(yet?) unwieldy.

> Consider ibiblio.org, if every artifact was associated with an
> organization (apache.org ->
> http://http://www.apache.org/dist/java-repository/), then you could
> (optionally) configure your client to only download an artifact from an
> authoritative server for that particular artifact.  You could use some
> file like resolution.xml to just provide pointers to ASF managed
> resources - say a version of the ASF maven repository at one of the
> mirrors.
>
> This way there is never a need to create one centralized conglomeration
> of artifacts.  You could have many maven repositories all containing
> only a portion of the entire "artifact space".

I agree with this. I was just thinking of another way to do it.

You see, directing users to repositories with diversely licensed jars,
is not something that is particularly nice, as you put yourself in a
position of being liable.

If instead the user has to enter the URL of the repository that contains
an artifact, this doesn't happen.

Also, if the central "DNS" goes down the system would halt
It would also still force anybody that wants to have something published
to have an entry in that "DNS".

But still, this is becoming OT for the purpose of this discussion.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -