www-repository mailing list archives

From "Henk P. Penning" <he...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Maven repository policies
Date Tue, 26 Jul 2005 14:41:18 GMT
On Mon, 25 Jul 2005, Brett Porter wrote:

> Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 09:25:57 +1000
> From: Brett Porter <brett@apache.org>
> To: repository@apache.org
> Cc: Apache Infrastructure <infrastructure@apache.org>,
>      Maven Project Management Committee List <pmc@maven.apache.org>
> Subject: Maven repository policies
>
> Hi,
>
> First of all, please do not retain the CC's on any responses to this.
> Folks interested in this topic, could you please subscribe and reply to
> the repository@apache.org list - thanks.
>
> Ok, what I wanted to talk about here was establishing a new Maven 2
> repository for deployment of Apache redistributable artifacts, and any
> policies that should be enforced on that. The Maven 2 repository layout
> is currently described here:
> http://docs.codehaus.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=22230.

  It says:

    For each file that is the repository there must be a file containing
    the checksum of the file, typically md5 or sha1. There may also be a
    digital signature (eg .asc an ascii armoured openpgp signature)

> I would like to have something workable for everyone going from the
> outset. Here is what I am proposing - please let me know if you have any
> feedback, additional requirements, objections, etc.

  My point of departure (assumptions) :

  -- The cleanup problems in 'java-repository' aren't solved
  -- If putting stuff in an repository is automated, then repository
     cleanup should be automated at least as well
  -- Every object X in the repository is derived from an object Y
     in 'dist/' (not 'dist/{java,maven}-repository/').
     If Y disappears from '/dist', X should disapear also

  To keep things simple, I propose that for every artifact X in
  the repository there should a file X.par, containing a pointer
  to the parent in 'dist/'.

  -- artifacts without a .par file are removed
  -- artifacts without a parent in 'dist/' are removed

  This maintenance procedure must be operational before the
  repository is established, running daily.

  The result is that :

  -- anyone can put artifacts, derived from stuff in 'dist/',
     in the repository.
  -- if the pmc of a project decides to withdraw a distribution
     from 'dist/', the artifacts derived from that distribution
     disappear from the repository.

  I think that would be a nice policy for stuff that is rsynced
  to 100+ mirrors.

> Brett

  Just my two cents ; regards,

  HPP

Henk P. Penning, Computer Systems Group       R Uithof CGN-A232  _/ \_
Dept of Computer Science, Utrecht University  T +31 30 253 4106 / \_/ \
Padualaan 14, 3584CH Utrecht, the Netherlands F +31 30 251 3791 \_/ \_/
http://www.cs.uu.nl/staff/henkp.html          M penning@cs.uu.nl  \_/