www-repository mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <steve.lough...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Maven repository policies
Date Thu, 28 Jul 2005 09:22:42 GMT
On 7/27/05, robert burrell donkin <rdonkin@apache.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-07-26 at 07:12 -0700, Phil Steitz wrote:
> > Brett Porter wrote:

> this is a good point: organisations change but code continues.
>
> why not just use package names?

because often package names themselves are historical accidents.
"org.apache.tools.ant", being a case in point, how microsoft used
com.ms for all their J++ stuff another (that is morgan stanley's
domain, see)

maybe it could be like package naming, with some rules but also
per-org freedom. Here, using the MUST/MAY/SHOULD terminology of IETF
specs:

0. packages MUST use the domain at the beginning (org.apache,com.sun)

1. it's left to every organisation to do layout under there -we just
declare what they SHOULD do.

2. for apache, jakarta stuff MAY go toplevel, as would tomcat, ant,
maven, xml, ws projects.

3. jakarta-commons MUST  be separate from org.apache.commons, in case
there is an xml-commons, ws-commons, etc.