www-small-events-discuss mailing list archives

From Nick Burch <n...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Apache Community building event in Colombo
Date Thu, 02 Feb 2012 14:17:02 GMT
On Thu, 2 Feb 2012, Sagara Gunathunga wrote:
> We used to discuss these events on foss-event-lk list and send summery
> to Apache lists. But main drawback is we drop lot of ideas and send only
> results/conclusions as the summery also whole discussion is not visible.
> I think it's better to have these discussions on Apache lists in a
> Apache way.

For the nitty gritty of organising small events, it's normally to have
your own list elsewhere with just those taking part or offering advice.
People here won't be interested in 5 emails on who's buying the tea bags!
But there certainly is interest on the general process and advice

> So far we use IRC a lot to organize this particular event I will inform
> others to join small-events-discuss@ so that we can discuss relevant
> matters on this list.

The only downside with IRC is that people who aren't there at that moment
miss out, which is especially an issue for potential mentors as I don't
think there are any in your timezone. For the last few small events I've
helped with, we've used externally hosted mailing lists with everyone
interested subscribed, and that has worked well.

(For large Apache events, we'll normally create an Apache hosted list for
it, but for smaller ones a google group or similar seems to work better,
is quicker to set up etc)

Nick