www-small-events-discuss mailing list archives

From Nick Burch <n...@apache.org>
Subject RE: Anyone interested in a one day event in Bangalore?
Date Fri, 15 Mar 2013 01:25:45 GMT
On Wed, 13 Mar 2013, Radhika Puthiyetath wrote:
> Today we had a discussion with Dr. Dinkar Sitaram, the Head of the
> Department Head, Center for Cloud Computing and Big Data at PESIT.
>
> They confirmed that they can host the event at their campus. The
> facility that they offered for the event looks very promising.

Excellent, great news!

> 1. Agenda (Hadoop group have promised two talks from their end.
> CloudStack can plan one or two.)

The plan was to run it as a BarCamp. That means we set out the themes in
advance, so that people know whether it's likely to be of interest to
them. However, the actual talks aren't scheduled until the day, based on
the interests of those who attend.

I would certainly suggest that CloudStack and Hadoop are two great themes
to hang the event around, and we do want to encourage people interested in
those to attend, and people knowledgable about them to come along and
share what they know!

Apache community and engagement is another topic we should include, with
things like The Apache Way, The Incubator, and GSOC. The latter would be a
good hook to draw in some of the students from the college, which'll
hopefully please our hosts!

Otherwise, we'll work out the details of the session on the day, in proper
unconference / BarCamp style. If there's the space, we can allocate one of
the track rooms to a hackathon later in the day (as previously discussed)
if there's the interest. If not, we'll just have more talks.

> 2. Sponsorship for the logistics

If possible, it'd be best if we could get a local company (perhaps
Citrix?) to handle the collecting of sponsorship money and paying of
bills. If we're likely to need some ASF cash, we need to put in a request
for that, but it's certainly possible. However, getting the ASF to pay
individual bills in India is likely to be tricky, so having someone
locally who can sort those and send a single bill to the ASF at the end
will work by far the best.

However, if that isn't possible for some reason, or if people think
that'll make inviting other sponsors to get involved hard, please say so
soon so we can see if there's another way. Hopefully it'll work though!

Nick