xml-rpc-dev mailing list archives

From Jason van Zyl <jvan...@zenplex.com>
Subject Re: Bas64 encoding performance
Date Sun, 10 Mar 2002 02:23:25 GMT
On Sat, 2002-03-09 at 15:58, John Wilson wrote:
> I have been looking at the performance of the latest version of the Apache
> XML-RPC system when transferring 1Mb byte arrays via base64 encoding. That
> is to say I have been running the TestBase64 benchmark.
>
> On my test system (Sun 1.3 JVM on Win2K) here the "old Helma" XML-RPC system
> runs the TestBase64 benchmark (from the current CVS tree) in ~54 seconds.
> The latest version from CVS runs the same benchmark in ~77 seconds. I have
> replaced the Base64 implementation with a version of the Base64
> encode/decoding from MinML-RPC and tidied up the interfacing of this to the
> rest of the code (avoiding converting from StringBuffer to String, returning
> a char array rather than a byte array and the consequential changes).  This
> now runs the benchmark in ~26 seconds.
>
> Are you interested in having these patches?

Definitely. I know you've been on the helma mailing lists and have
always helped out, that you are very familiar with XmlRpc in general
(MinML-RPC) so I'd say you're more than capable of applying your patches
directly.

I would like to nominate John for commit access.

+1

Maybe we could combine the code bases somehow?

--
jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jvanzyl@apache.org