xml-rpc-dev mailing list archives

From ar...@cornell.edu
Subject Re: recent patches
Date Fri, 13 Sep 2002 19:09:13 GMT

>Subject:  Re: recent patches
>From:     Steffen Schwigon <schwigon@webit.de>
>
>arh14@cornell.edu writes:
>> The whole point is to propagate contextual information
>> from the client to the server, so of course being able to set said
>> information on the client is necessary.
>
>Does this mean, that each client 'must' specify additional info (they
>are mandatory) if it communicates to an enhanced server or it 'can'
>add info (they are optional).

Oh, no no no :)  I mean "in order to pass contextual information from
the client to the server, it must be settable on the client" (this is an
obvious tautology).  I don't mean you *have* to set this information.
When I say that interceptors are "mandatory" I mean "any serious library
that plays in the middleware arena should provide some form of this
functionality".  Not that you *have* to use them, or that you are even
aware of them.  Of course I don't want to force everybody to pass extra
information or use interceptors or anything! :)  None of my patches have
required you to do anything extra or even be aware of the extra
functionality.

Aaron