xml-rpc-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Rall <...@finemaltcoding.com>
Subject Re: New release of Apache XML-RPC
Date Thu, 21 Nov 2002 22:06:10 GMT
Emir <emir.h@usask.ca> writes:
> Daniel Rall wrote:

> > I made objectParsed() protected today.  What's your use case for each?
> >
> Jxta xml-rpc library uses XmlRpc class (extends it), and uses
> objectParsed() (and parse() as well). The goal is to use Apache
> xmlrpc.jar without modification.

Certainly.  Our goal as well.  :-)

> But since objectParsed is not accessible, initial implementor
> changed the method to public and recompiled.

Since you're extending XmlRpc, and the method is now protected, this
should no longer be an issue with CVS HEAD.

> Another programmer tried to extend the package org.apache.xmlrpc to
> include jxta classes, but the problem is then inconsistency with
> package content. These were not very clean solutions to my mind.

I agree -- better to refactor the core framework to make it more
easily extensionable.

> What I am doing is replicating XmlRpc class within jxta xmlrpc
> package, so 2 other classes can extend it with objectParsed(). This
> seems like a best solution to me now, since it allows for use of
> apache library in the original form. I see that you are making some
> major changes to the apache library.

Yes, but at the same time it will remain as backwards compatible as
possible.

> If you decide to make objectParsed accessible outside of package
> maybe, it would allow for easier extensions by users.

It is, as of my last email.  :-)

> You probably had the similar thing in mind with *Processor classes.
> Thank you for the updates, I will see what I can do in jxta. I can
> foresee another major overhaul of jxta xmlrpc once the apache
> library releases new version. Some concepts you are developing like
> standalone *Worker and *Processor classes are what we alredy use in
> jxta.

Great!  Good to know that the use case is already being applied.

> As far as the DateTool is concerned, jxta classes would also use it, as
> they extend XmlRpc.

I have moved it into a util sub-package and made it public -- it is
now org.apache.xmlrpc.util.DateTool.

This issues that you've brought up so far are now taken care of.
Please let us know what other tweaks would make the library more
easily embeddable -- this is an important use case for most of us.
Also, if you plan on adopting CVS HEAD, let me know and I will slap
another tag on the repository.

> > > I am trying to make a jxta xml-rpc package that uses org.apache.xmlrpc,
> > > but I have to copy a lot of stuff just because of visibility.
> >
> > Let's see what we can do about that.  Shall we move this discussion to
> > the rpc-dev@xml.apache.org list?  Folks there are quite receptive to
> > enhancment requests.
> Maybe later, when I manage to figure out everything what we need to
> adapt the jxta to xmlrpc. I will then subscribe.

Looking forward to hearing from you.
--

Daniel Rall <dlr@finemaltcoding.com>