xml-rpc-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Rall <...@collab.net>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release plan
Date Thu, 30 Jan 2003 21:42:43 GMT
On Thu, 30 Jan 2003, Ryan Hoegg wrote:

> While we are making changes, why not vote on the release plan?
>
> Please vote on the following release plans as follows:
>
> +1 = In favor
> 0 = Don't care
> -1 = Against it
>
> Feel free to comment on why you voted as you did.

Any -1 votes must be accompanied by an explanation.  Explainations of your
+1 are appreciated.

> Plan 1:
>
> Go forward with a 1.2 release as follows:
>  - Beta release with bugfixes on February 15.
>  - Testing happens from here on out; we elicit help on this via an
> announcement through the new ws.apache.org site.
>  - No date for stable release as we don't know how many bugs we will
> hear about.
>  - We will need to decide on milestones for beta and final.

+1.  The 1.2 branch of the library feels stable, and IMHO has already been
through its (long) beta period.  Tag the repository as XMLRPC_1_2_0, cut a
1.2 release, and simply tack on any bug fixes as 1.2.1, 1.2.2, 1.2.N, and so
on.  Post release, I see the 1.2 branch as in maintainence mode only.  It
will receive no new features (only bug fixes), and all development resources
should be concentrated on the trunk (what I think we all see as XML-RPC
2.0).

> Plan 2:
> Go forward with a 1.2 release as follows:
>  - No concrete dates yet.
>  - Same as above otherwise

-0

> Plan 3:
> Scrap the 1.2 release and go full steam for 2.0
>  - Should spend some time organizing milestones for the 2.0 release instead.

-1.  1.2 has been marinating for long enough, and is definitely worthy of a
release.  If we don't have enough resources to maintain it (and I doubt
we'll find enough serious bugs for this to be problematic), we can always
suggest the 2.0 release as an upgrade/bug fix path.

> I offer to take the lead on whichever we pick, but will need input and
> help from you all as well.  Also I will defer to more senior developers
> if any of you wants to take the lead on the release plan.

Assign me any issues (within reason ;) you deem necessary to make the 1.2
release happen.  Feel especially free to file new issues for me related to
the release management XML-RPC 1.2.

Thanks to everyone for your hard work!

- Dan

p.s. Did the base-64 fixes make it into both 1.2 branch _and_ HEAD?