xml-rpc-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Rall <...@collab.net>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release plan
Date Thu, 30 Jan 2003 22:52:56 GMT
On Thu, 30 Jan 2003, Ryan Hoegg wrote:

> Daniel Rall wrote:
>
> >p.s. Did the base-64 fixes make it into both 1.2 branch _and_ HEAD?
>
> Not yet.  I think the issue is basically closed except for some
> uncertainty on performance with large inputs.  I was going to get around
> to making a test for that this weekend.  I found a tasty Project
> Gutenberg text for it :)

Is it the 1.2 branch which needs the base-64 fixes backported into it?  I'm
all for improving the performance, but I wouldn't hold up a release on
account of it.

> Also, I think our changes should go upstream to Codec, and we should
> change the package name on Base64.java to org.apache.commons.codec.
> You're a committer on Codec, so you could make it happen.

I will port the fixes to Codec.  However, the XML-RPC JAR should not contain
any classes in the org.apache.commons.codec package -- experience has shown
me that this can lead to horribly difficult to debug class loading problem,
and often result in LinkageErrors when one application includes multiple
versions of the same class in its classpath.  I have already experienced
enough of this horror with XML-RPC's inclusion of the SAX API.  The only way
I've successfully debugged this problem is by dumping a list of all the
classes in my app, looking for duplicates, and comparing their bytecode
sizes.  Software like Tomcat which uses multiple class loaders increases the
difficulty of this sort of debugging exponentially.

- Dan