xml-xindice-users mailing list archives

From Francesco Bellomi <fbell...@libero.it>
Subject Re: Full Text Support ?
Date Sun, 16 Jun 2002 18:50:42 GMT
Hi,

I think there is an ongoing effort to add a full-text indexing feature to
XIndice (you can search the archive of the dev ML for further details).

However, when I needed to implement a full-text search engine for an
XIndice application, I used Apache Lucene,
http://jakarta.apache.org/lucene/docs/index.html
I simply used XIndice to store the full document bodies, and Lucene to
build, store and query the index for the texts, along with a special
"field" (the term for Lucene entires' slots) for each document, specifying
the document path into XIndice (collection and id). So now I can run a
query using Lucene, obtainig a list of XIndice document ids.

Francesco

At 20.13 16/06/2002, you wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Is anyone working on adding Full Text support (indexing and queries) to
>xindice ?
>
>I have a 60,000+ record database that need revamped. It isn't currently
>XML but I think it would be ideally suited to becoming an XML database.
>Performing updates using XUpdate would be fantastic. Being able to execute
>XPath/XQuery queries would be nice but for most users the need for a
>simple, high performance keyword search is essential.
>
>The data is currently imported into a BRS/Search database but our licence
>for that will expire in a couple of years and the University is unlikely
>to continue to pay for it.
>
>A possible temporary would be to have all the data stored and updated in
>an xindice database which is then exported to a full text database for
>keyword searches. Are there any Free high-performance full-text databases
>out there ? I find it quite hard to assess their performance without
>actually going to the effort of trying them out. I tried ISearch which
>initially seemed like a good solution but it performed very badly when
>doing a join on a very common keyword and an uncommon one.
>

>Cheers,
>
>nick.

-
Francesco Bellomi