xml-xindice-users mailing list archives

From "Dirk Bromberg" <bromb...@tzi.de>
Subject AW: Collection size after deleting
Date Fri, 14 Jun 2002 13:54:47 GMT
Hi,

when I've a collection with 1000 resources in it and i'm deleting 500 of
them -> the size will not reduced.
when i'm adding 500 new resource to this collection will the space recycled
?? or will the collection getting bigger ?? and the space form the 500
deleted resource is lost ??

thanks

Dirk Bromberg
bromberg@tzi.de

-----Ursprungliche Nachricht-----
Von: Kimbro Staken [mailto:kstaken@xmldatabases.org]
Gesendet: Donnerstag, 13. Juni 2002 21:55
An: xindice-users@xml.apache.org
Betreff: Re: Collection size after deleting

On Thursday, June 13, 2002, at 04:18  AM, Daniel Kroeger wrote:

> Hello,
>
> is it normal, that the size of a collection doesn't shrink if you delete
> documents:

Yes it's normal, maybe not good, but normal.

> I have a collection which has 12.288 bytes after its creation.
> Than I add 100.000 documents, make an XPath query and delete the
> documents.
> But the collection stays at 437.067.776 bytes.............which is IMHO a
> bit too much for an empty collection.

And you would be correct. The file grows in chunks as needed, the size of
the file is always going to be larger then the amount of data in the file.
  As the engine matures I'm sure it will make better use of the files.

> Daniel

Kimbro Staken
Java and XML Software, Consulting and Writing http://www.xmldatabases.org/
Apache Xindice native XML database http://xml.apache.org/xindice