xml-xindice-users mailing list archives

From "webhiker@tiscali.fr" <webhi...@tiscali.fr>
Subject Note to Xindice developers
Date Wed, 10 Sep 2003 07:57:10 GMT
Hi guys,
As a skulker on this forum, I'm still learning loads about this great
little XML db.
But am I the only one seeing alarms going off around all the trouble
people are having with 1.1*  ?
The default cvs checkout does indeed give you 1.1b2, so regardless of
whether it's "official" or not, this is what
the build delivery is created as, and what people will refer to it as.

My concern is the perception Xindice is getting in the developer
community with 90% of the people not being able to start it, access it etc.
Some of the problems are for example the documentation is valid for 1.0,
but is built into the 1.1 delivery, this silly "which port
is it running on" question etc etc etc.
Now I'm skilled and experienced enough to know this "Extreme
programming" style of development is often how these community projects
evolve,
but there is a large risk here of destroying any chance Xindice has of
becoming an acceptable solution to the average Joe. A bad reputation will be
immediately seized upon by the guys marketing Xperion, Oracle XML etc.

I propose some attention be paid to as quick as possible to getting an
official, TESTED beta version built and delivered before this thing gets
out of hand.

Just my 0.2e, thanks for a great piece of software.

wh