xml-xindice-users mailing list archives

From Barzilai Spinak <bar...@internet.com.uy>
Subject Re: Xindice 1.1b2 + Cocoon 2.1 - continued
Date Wed, 10 Sep 2003 20:42:49 GMT
Stefan Pietschmann wrote:

> hi and thank you again for all your help,
>
> here's a little summary of how far I am.
> (I want to use Xindice with Cocoon 2.1 and was told to use
> the embedded mode instead of using the webapp...and I don't care as
> long as it works finally):
>
> 1) got xml-xindice from cvs
> 2) "build"
> 3) created new folder "xindice" with the following files from cvs/build:
>     bin/*; dist/*, java/lib/*, config/*
> 4) set this folder as %XINDICE_HOME%
> 5) added %XINDICE_HOME%\bin to the %PATH% variable
> 6) added this to the *cocoon.xconf* (at least the parts that were
> missing)
>     <component-instance
> class="org.apache.cocoon.components.source.impl.XMLDBSourceFactory"
> name="xmldb">
>         <driver class="org.apache.xindice.client.xmldb.DatabaseImpl"
> type="xindice"/>
>         <driver
> class="org.apache.xindice.client.xmldb.embed.DatabaseImpl"
> type="xindice"/>
>     </component-instance>

I didnĀ“t need to do step (6) with Cocoon 2.1..  It as already done.

> 7) put the following files from the cvs/build into
> the cocoon/WEB-INF/lib folder (overwriting older versions): xml*.jar,
> xindice-1.1b2,jar

Be careful to remove other jars that have not quite the same name but
contain the same packages. (For example, in 2.1
there's a file called xmldb-api-20011111.jar  which should be replaced
by xmldb-api-20021118.jar which comes with Xindice. I think)

> Q1: so... well... since the XML:DB generator is to be deprecated and i
> couldn't even find a XML:DB Transformer, so what else do I have to do
> in order to use the xml:db pseudo-protocol as suggested?
> i could hardly find any information about how to use it as well (like
> adding/deleting files from the db - or is it just for requests?)

Something like this:
      <map:generate type="file"
src="xmldb:xindice://localhost:8080/db/etc/etc/etc"/>

And yes, it's only for requests.  Also, the port 8080 is the standar in
Tomcat but as I said in a previous message, it may be
8888 if it's running from the provided Jetty.  They have to agree on the
port. It seems that every Xindice release or beta
runs on a different port!

> Q2: where will the db be situated with this config?

You can put it wherever you want. But it has to be pointed to by
system.xml in the webapp and system.xml in the command line version, if
you want
both to use the same database.

> Q3:how can I start xindice automatically everytime i start tomcat?

If it's deployed as a webapp, it will start with the rest of the
webapps/servlets

BarZ