xml-xindice-users mailing list archives

From "Kurt Kavanaugh" <kkavana...@teletrol.com>
Subject RE: Predicates are ignored in Xindice XPATH?
Date Wed, 22 Oct 2003 16:00:29 GMT

And therin lies the XPATH/collection ambiguity. It seems that there needs to be a layer above
to provide the abstraction for correct aggregate functionality.

-----Original Message-----
From: Terry Rosenbaum [mailto:Terry@amicas.com]
Sent: Wednesday, October 22, 2003 11:56 AM
To: xindice-users@xml.apache.org
Subject: Re: Predicates are ignored in Xindice XPATH?

Hi WH,

Xindice does not implement aggregate
expressions across multiple Resources
contained in a Collection. The XPath expression
is evaluated against each Resource in the
Collection and all resulting Resources are returned.

You can perform certain aggregations
yourself in your application. For positional
aggregation such as suggested by (//data)[position()=last()],
be aware that the order of returned Resources
is arbitrary (not guaranteed by contract
as e.g. order of insertion AFAIK).

Thus, you would probably need to
perform a sort of some kind before choosing
the "last" for a meaningful result.

-Terry