xml-xindice-users mailing list archives

From Murray Altheim <m.alth...@open.ac.uk>
Subject Re: Storing XML in string format
Date Wed, 22 Oct 2003 14:44:48 GMT
Henrik Vendelbo wrote:
> Hmm, look like a hack, but if it does the job I can live with it. I don't
> quite understand why the string I pass isn't valid XML, which Xindice should
> store properly. Or are you merely saying that I can speed up the DOM parsing
> using a CDATA element ?
>
> Does this mean that Xindice will go via DOM even if you use SAX ?
>
> And will the CDATA wrap be removed before storing it in the db ?

Henrik,

Honestly, I was in a hurray and perhaps don't understand your
predicament entirely. If you want to store XML as XML, as DOM,
then don't use CDATA sections. If you want to store XML as a
String, use a CDATA section. You'll lose the ability to do XPath
queries and anything else XML-ish, but you can store non-well-
formed markup, or any content that you don't care about in its
form as markup.

If this isn't helpful, then I'm probably barking up the wrong tree.

Murray

Murray Altheim                    http://kmi.open.ac.uk/people/murray/
Knowledge Media Institute
The Open University, Milton Keynes, Bucks, MK7 6AA, UK               .

   Monkeys use thoughts to control robotic arm
     http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2003/10/13/MN2018.DTL
   Bush uses media expertly to push apocalyptic view
     http://truthout.org/docs_03/091403J.shtml