xml-xindice-users mailing list archives

From "Kevin Ross" <kevin.r...@iverticalleap.com>
Subject RE: thread limit?
Date Tue, 21 Oct 2003 18:00:01 GMT
FYI- I'm not able to be involved at this point, but if you would be able
to submit a test case to prove the threading issue (to bugzilla), it
will be much more likely to be resolved by the excellent bunch that are
actively committing.  I don't believe the code base has ever been
thoroughly tested for thread-safety.

Without the test case, it's hard to get a volunteer's time to attempt to
reproduce the error, then fix it.

-Kevin Ross

-----Original Message-----
From: David J. Thomson [mailto:dthomson@eecs.tufts.edu]
Sent: Tuesday, October 21, 2003 12:24 PM
To: xindice-users; julie.mccabe@qub.ac.uk
Subject: Re: thread limit?

Hello,

I ran into problems a while back. I'm not sure if it's been resolved,
but
I was only doing theoretical testing. Search the archives for maximum
number of file descriptors. As far as I remember, collection.close() was
not actually doing anything, so java was running into problems with the
maximum number of simultaneous open files/file descriptors on the
underlying operating system (ulimit -n). Furthermore, IIRC, creating a
database instance will open up all the collections, even if you only use
one of them. Not sure about that, though.

David