xml-xindice-users mailing list archives

From Honglin Ye <...@aoc.nrao.edu>
Subject xindice xpath query over multiple collections
Date Tue, 03 Feb 2004 21:36:55 GMT

Hello, Vadim,
       Thank you for the message.
       I think search over multiple collections of similar document is a needed
feature. By partitioning the database into smaller collections may improve the
performance. I have documents to store in a collection tree like:

        /db/proposals
              /VLA
                  /200402
                  /200406
                  /200410
              /VLBA
                  /200402
                  /200406
                  /200410
              /EVLA
                  /200402
                  /200406
                  /200410
              /GBT
                  /200402
                  /200406
                  /200410

I modified XPathQuery.java to do multiple collection search.
      The are 2 ways to specified a collection list. The first uses a comma or semi-colon
separated list, for example:
      xindice xpath -c xmldb:xindice://localhost:8080/db/proposals/VLA/200402;xmldb:xindice://localhost:8080/db/proposals/VLBA/200406

      The second uses * to indicate all the child collections, for example
      xindice xpath -c xmldb:xindice://localhost:8080/db/proposals/*/200402
or
      xindice xpath -c xmldb:xindice://localhost:8080/db/proposals/VLA/*

The combination of the 2 way also ok.

      Attached XPathQuery.java contains my modification to the original file.
I added 2 private functions to extract collection list and modified execute
method to loop over all the collection list.

      I am new to xindice and am not sure if this modification make sense or
if it has impact on other modules.

Honglin Ye
National Radio Astronomy Observatory
Socorro, NM USA

Honglin Ye wrote:

 > Honglin Ye wrote:
 >
 >> Is it possible to query db over multiple collection?
 >>
 >> For exacmple
 >>
 >> xindice xpath -c xmldb:xindice://host:8080/db/root/ -q "/root/childre"
 >>
 > sorry, it should read
 >
 > xindice xpath -c xmldb:xindice://host:8080/db/root/* -q "/root/childre"

See Xindice website, Todo page:
    <strong>The Query Engine</strong> The query engine has basic
    functionality right now.  Indexing and XPath query work against a
    Collection, but no unified cross-Collection query system currently
    exists.

In short:
No, Xindice currently does not support quering over multiple connections. You are welcome
to enhance Xindice and send in a patch.

Thanks,
Vadim