xml-xindice-users mailing list archives

From Jonathan Melhuish <j.melhu...@signal.qinetiq.com>
Subject Null Pointer Exception
Date Thu, 22 Apr 2004 10:10:01 GMT
In the following line in my Java program, col returns null:

XPathQueryService service = (XPathQueryService)
col.getService("XPathQueryService","1.0");

*  This error is equivalent to the database not being present.
*  I have tried several known-good versions of the code and database;
all fail with the same error.
*  I receive the same error with Xindice 1.0 and 1.1.
*  I have tested it under Windows and Linux (both with Tomcat 4.1.27),
both produce the same error.
*  The xindice "UglyBrowser" allows me to successfully view my database
through Tomcat.
*  The database table is currently in the default location of
~/tomcat/webapps/xindice/WEB-INF/db
*  I have tried db.setProperty("db-home") using relative and absolute
paths, to no avail

I'm starting to run out of ideas now!  :-(  Niggling questions include:

*  What broke?  I haven't changed Tomcat or Xindice 1.0 on my Linux box
since it was working, whilst the Windows box is a "fresh" installation.
*  How come the UglyBrowser works, but my code doesn't?  My code used to
work.

Any help or pointers would be very much appreciated!

Cheers,

Jon

PS:  Here's the code I'm using to connect to the database:
------------------------------
  public void connect() throws RepositoryException {
    try {
        Class driver =
Class.forName("org.apache.xindice.client.xmldb.embed.DatabaseImpl");

        // initialize a new database, then register it globally
        Database db = (Database) driver.newInstance();

db.setProperty("db-home","/home/jon/tomcat/webapps/xindice/WEB-INF");
        db.setProperty("managed","true");

        DatabaseManager.registerDatabase(db);
        col =
DatabaseManager.getCollection("xmldb:xindice-embed:///db/sne/");
        if (col==null) {
            throw new RepositoryException("Col is null!");
        }
  }