xml-xindice-users mailing list archives

From "Devine, Arthur W" <devi...@spawar.navy.mil>
Subject RE: import/export with meta-data
Date Tue, 20 Apr 2004 17:12:54 GMT
Please remove me from the mailing list.
I no longer want to receive e-mail from the zindice-users group.

-----Original Message-----
From: Vadim Gritsenko [mailto:vadim@reverycodes.com]
Sent: Tuesday, April 20, 2004 12:35 PM
To: xindice-users@xml.apache.org
Subject: Re: import/export with meta-data

Wouter de Vaal wrote:

>>>I'm looking for a way to have a complete collection structure being
>>>exported with keeping meta-data on XML documents and binaries in tact
>>>and which
>>>I can import again afterwards. Is there functionality for this (as far
>>>as I can see, xindice -export doesn't support this)?
>>>

>>Do you mean "inline metadata" or "external metadata facilities"? You can
>>export external metadata using "-export" command, it is stored under
>>system collection.
>>

>Could you clarify the difference between the two?

For details on external meta data, see:

xml-xindice\java\src\org\apache\xindice\client\xmldb\services\MetaService.ja
va
    xml-xindice\java\src\org\apache\xindice\core\meta\MetaData.java
And config.xml:
      -   use-metadata:
      -       When set to 'on', enables external metadata facilities
      -       for this database instance.
And also see guide-developer.xml, it describes external meta data.

For details on internal meta data, see:
    xml-xindice\java\src\org\apache\xindice\core\meta\inline

xml-xindice\java\tests\src\org\apache\xindice\integration\client\resources\B
inaryResourceTest.java

Internal meta data used to store some information beside the data, such
as xml/binary flag and creation/modification dates. External meta data
is accessible programmatically and can be used in applications.

>>>Does this need to be written? If so, any suggestions how I should do
>>>

>this?
>

>>For external metadata, I guess the only thing needed is improvement in
>>documentation on import/export. For inline metadata, it should be
>>possible to modify export command to store it in separate file beside
>>resource files. Send patches to the dev list for discussion and applying
>>to CVS.
>>

>I can find the export command, but I can't see how it supports metadata,
>could
>you give me some pointers where to look?

This exports meta data for test collection:

    bin\xindice export -c /db/meta/Metas/test -f output-dir

Vadim