xml-xindice-users mailing list archives

From Natalia Shilenkova <nshilenk...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: WELCOME to xindice-users@xml.apache.org
Date Thu, 04 Aug 2011 18:05:52 GMT

On Aug 3, 2011, at 4:12 PM, pkp413 @gmail.com wrote:

> Thank you, Natalia. I was able to install and reconfigure the DB files for use with Xindice
1.1

> I am having a couple of issues now:
>
> #1. Do I need Tomcat to deploy/run Xindice 1.1 server? Can be it run without Tomcat using
the xindiced start command instead? what are the trade-offs between using Tomcat or Jetty?

You don't need Tomcat. Any application server will do, including Jetty. There is not much
difference, except the case where you already use Tomcat and would like to avoid having another
server.

> #2. Our current scripts read and write to DB collections using commands like
> xindice rd -c //<DBSERVER>:4080/db/database -n TOC.xml
>
> The new xindice command-line does not like the fully qualified server name/port in front
of the /db. These command would need to change to something like...
> xindice rd -d //<DBSERVER>:4080 -c /db/database -n TOC.xml

"-d" argument should point to DB configuration file and only applies when local database is
used, but here the command-line tool will connect to the Xindice server over the network,
so -d //<DBSERVER>:4080 will be ignored.

A non-standard port/host name for command-line tool can be set by specifying "-c" argument
as full Xindice DB URL, such as:
bin/xindice lc -c xmldb:xindice://localhost:8888/db

> Which means all scripts that use xindice command-line will need to be updated...any workaround
for that?

Unfortunately, I cannot think of any workaround for that.

Regards,
Natalia