xml-xmlbeans-dev mailing list archives

From "David Remy" <dr...@bea.com>
Subject RE: Status of SAAJ and JAX-RPC implementations
Date Thu, 17 Jun 2004 17:47:53 GMT

There is no plan for a complete soap stack.  it seems out of scope for
xmlbeans which is focused on the binding aspect and is probably best at
xml to java and xml schema to java scenarios in particular.

> i see references to SAAJ

In v2 there is a built-in saaj 1.2 interface.  The idea was to allow
saaj 1.2 (which you prob know is tightly integrated with dom) nodes to
have the same identity as underlying dom nodes.  There is/will be a way
to load the store in 'saaj mode' passing in an implementation of the
saaj interface such that saaj calls will be routed through the
interface.  Axis could certainly write a SAAJ implementation behind the
interface ...

> and JAX-RPC.

There has been a lot of work on a JAX-RPC (a.k.a., lossy binding).  When
we started v2 we thought we might be able to come up with some type of
uber binding that would support both lossy binding and non-lossy
binding.  The lossy binding was essentially driven by JAX-RPC, JSR109
requirements.  It turns out, other than the schema type system (a.k.a.,
schema object model) the codebase is completely orthogonal to xmlbeans
classic (generated interfaces extend xmlobject to support 100% schema,
and keeping the XML Infoset around).

This work on the lossy binding side has really firmed up the opinion
that there are really two big aspects of what xmlbeans is: 1) the schema
compilation/schema type system and 2) the xmlbeans specific binding.
The lossy binding takes advantage of the schema type system but is a
*different* binding model than xmlbeans.  Users that use xmlbeans
binding cannot easily decide to switch over the to the lossy binding
(and vice versa).  Because of that we have been de-emphasizing the lossy
binding within xmlbeans.  It is a great example of the ability to write
a different code generation mechanism on top of the xmlbeans schema type
system but not the xmlbeans binding.

If the xmlbeans binding does not meet requirements (and it does not meet
jax-rpc/jsr109 requirements at this point since generated pojos must be
supported) then it is entirely possible to write a new binding with it's
own code gen, java2schema mechanism, and marshalling/unmarshalling on
top of the xmlbeans schema object model.  A ton of work has gone into
making the xmlbeans schema compilation correct and accurate so it seems
like something worth leveraging.

> any idea which
> versions of these specs are being targeted?

> Am asking because we have
> to plan for post Axis 1.2 and there are several options....

It seems like xmlbeans would be best fitted for doc/literal (perhaps
rpc/literal?) soap style since all schema features and all xml infoset
is available.  Also, as the underlying store for saaj access, makes a
lot of sense.  It is pretty easy to imagine xmlbeans/dom/saaj being
passed along the handler chain and then having the parameters to a web
service pointing in to the xmlstore (e.g., be xmlbeans) and therefore
not incurring any extra unmarshalling cost (assuming you need saaj
access somewhere in the handler chain).  However i don't think this
would be jax-rpc/jsr109 compliant ...