xml-xmlbeans-dev mailing list archives

From Ted Leung <twle...@sauria.com>
Subject Re: XMLBeans ready to exit incubation?
Date Thu, 17 Jun 2004 00:43:07 GMT
+1 as the mentor and an ASF member.

I think that the vector is in the right direction, and while the
magnitude could be larger, it could always be larger.  I think the
magnitude has crossed the threshold.

On Jun 16, 2004, at 10:50 AM, Cliff Schmidt wrote:

> Noel J. Bergman wrote on Monday, June 14, 2004 11:46 PM:
>
>> Understanding that "BEA has absolutely no intention of dropping
>> support of the XMLBeans project", do you feel that XMLBeans is ready
>> to leave the Incubator, or would it benefit from further stay?  How
>> do others in the community feel?
>
> Hey Community (-dev and -user list folks),
>
> We've been talking on the incubator general list about criteria for
> exiting the incubator, and Noel posed the questions above.  We're
> all reconsidering whether it really is necessary to have a rule that
> states that no one organization can have more than 50% of the initial
> committers, as long as there are at least three independent voices
> and the community seems to be working out.
>
> IMO, XMLBeans has been going pretty well, especially in the last few
> months.  We've gotten a lot of outside contributions, the committers
> have been pretty responsive to the user community, and we've
> diversified the committer list over the last few months.  While I
> think we could go further in these directions, I feel like XMLBeans
> is ready to request graduation from the incubator for two reasons:
> 1) XMLBeans is a good example of an Apache project and well on its
> way to being even better -- in other words, "good for Apache".
> 2) XMLBeans no longer needs the incubator community to figure out
> how to build a community and figure out logistic issues.
>
> So, these are just my opinions, but I'm hoping to hear from others
> out there (particularly the non-BEA members of the community).
>
> Are we ready to leave incubation?
>
> Cliff

----
Ted Leung                          Blog: <http://www.sauria.com/blog>
PGP Fingerprint: 1003 7870 251F FA71 A59A  CEE3 BEBA 2B87 F5FC 4B42