xml-xmlbeans-dev mailing list archives

From "Patrick Calahan" <p...@bea.com>
Subject RE: JAM - JSR 175 under jakarta commons?
Date Sat, 12 Jun 2004 00:03:34 GMT
Yes, it is certainly doable with JAM under JDK 1.5.  Under JDK 1.4, it
is not currently possible because JAM relies on the 1.5 version of
javadoc to parse source files.

It would be possible to implement a java source parser that would run
under 1.4 but would understand 175.  I did a little bit of work in that
direction in JAM but never got a chance to finish it, as it's not really
an important use case for xbeans.

-p

-----Original Message-----
From: Davanum Srinivas [mailto:davanum@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, June 11, 2004 4:52 PM
To: xmlbeans-dev@xml.apache.org
Cc: dims@apache.org; Cliff Schmidt
Subject: Re: JAM - JSR 175 under jakarta commons?

Patrick,

Here's the use case....currently in Axis you can drop in a file with
extension .jws (which can by any java class) and we compile the class
and make it into a web service. We want to support 175 annotations in
these jws files....Is this doable with JAM?

thanks,
dims

On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 13:16:03 -0700, Patrick Calahan <pcal@bea.com>
wrote:

> Right, I'm pretty familiar with 181 already.  As Dave Remy mentioned,
> 181 is based on 175 annotations, which will not even compile under
1.4.
> So, I'm not sure I understand how you are planning on providing any
181
> support under pre-1.5 JDKs.
>
> The only thing I could imagine would be to define a set of javadoc
tags
> that map to 181's 175 annotations.  This is a problem JAM was designed
> to solve for xbeans.   However, in the case of 181, I would have to
> wonder if it's really worth the trouble.
>
> -p

JAM,
> > and we just want to make sure that we don't want to go off and spin
up
> > new project that doesn't provide any value-add over something that
is
> > already going to be in the JDK.
> >
> > Having read over that document, I do have a few as-yet unanswered
> > questions about it:
> >
> > - Does it support both class and source files?
> >
> > - Do you have to let them drive?  AFAICT, you have to invoke the APT
> > command line tool; there doesn't seem to be an invocation API.
> >
> > - Can it be used for general-purpose reflection?  The docs say that
it
> > can, but it's not clear to me how you do this, given that the
> callbacks
> > are keyed on annotations.  For example, I don't see how you would do
> > reflection on a class that has no annotations at all.
> >
> > This may be just my failure to understand the tool correctly,
though.
> > I'm curious to know if you have more insight.
> >
> > -p

JAM