xml-xmlbeans-user mailing list archives

From "Lachlan Paterson" <lach...@post.com>
Subject Re: scomp does not validate <xs:choice> properly?
Date Mon, 05 Jul 2004 23:11:55 GMT
It becomes valid for XMLbeans if I merely change the order of the sequence, such that the differing
element appears first.

The spec (http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml/#determinism) says that this issue is Non-normative
- which I take to mean that enforcing this rule is non-standard, so the w3.org validator was
right to pass my original schema.

Here is a modified schema that will pass everything:

<xs:schema
   elementFormDefault="qualified">

<xs:element name="x" type="MyType"/>

<xs:complexType name="MyType">
  <xs:choice>
    <xs:sequence>
      <xs:element name="c" type="xs:string"/>
      <xs:element name="a" type="xs:string"/>
      <xs:element name="b" type="xs:string"/>
    </xs:sequence>
    <xs:sequence>
      <xs:element name="d" type="xs:string"/>
      <xs:element name="a" type="xs:string"/>
      <xs:element name="b" type="xs:string"/>
    </xs:sequence>
  </xs:choice>
</xs:complexType>

</xs:schema>

> Lachlan,
>
> It is very strange that the XSV validator does not catch this error as
> it is definitely invalid. The basic premise is that when there is a
> choice, there can be no particles in its options that can be ambitious:
> for an element to be valid for a choice, the validator must be able to
> determine in the very beginning to which of the different choices it
> should match...
>
> A less confusing explanation can be found in the Spec:
> http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-1/#non-ambig
>
> Mik
>

> Lachlan Paterson wrote:
>
> >I attempted to run scomp, using a simple schema that contains a choice between two
sequences, and I received this error: