xml-xmlbeans-user mailing list archives

From "Saha, Sanjeev" <SS...@asce.org>
Subject RE: Testing for empty elements
Date Fri, 23 Jul 2004 20:18:21 GMT
Try:

XmlCursor cursor = customer.newCursor(); // assuming customer is already an XmlObject
cursor.selectPath("Vehicle"); // or "./Vehicle" or "child::Vehicle" which ever is comfortable
if (cursor.toNextSelection())
{
    String vehicleValue = cursor.getTextValue();
    // value returned will be an emptyString [ "" ] if blank
}

Hope this helps,
Sanjeev

	-----Original Message-----
	From: Coburn Kimberley [mailto:Kimberley.Coburn@softlab.de]
	Sent: Fri 7/23/2004 2:11 PM
	To: xmlbeans-user@xml.apache.org
	Subject: Testing for empty elements

	Hello,

	I am looking for a good way to test whether an element is empty. For example, I have a Customer
type that has a Vehicle type as child.

	For an instance:

	<Customer>
	  <Vehicle/>
	  <OtherElement>blahblahblah</OtherElement>
	</Customer>

	I want to be able to either ask the Customer if its Vehicle is empty or ask the Vehicle directly
if it is empty.

	I thought I could do this with isNil() and isFooNil(). Anyhow, that's how I interpreted the
Bea XMLBean documentation on these methods. I've found out via experimentation that this is
not so - i.e. isNil()/isFooNil() only look at the xsi:nil attribute to see if it is true or
false; if the attribute is missing (in my case, yes), false is always returned. (I set the
nillable attribute in the schema, but this seems to only mean that I then get methods which
I can use to explicitly set the xsi:nil attribute).

	In any case, all I want to do is ask if the element is empty - not if an attribute has a
certain value. At present, I am using the very ugly workaround of testing for Element.toString().equals("<xml-fragment/>")
or Element.toString().equals("<xml-fragement></xml-fragment>").

	There must be a better way. Does anyone know one?

	Thanks,

	Kimberley Coburn