xml-xmlbeans-user mailing list archives

From Mik Lernout <...@futurestreet.org>
Subject Re: scomp does not validate <xs:choice> properly?
Date Tue, 06 Jul 2004 10:45:32 GMT
Interesting, I never actually read those spooky XML footnotes :-)

The way I read it, it is non-normative for content models designed for
XML, but the rule is required for content models defined in XMLSchema....

Mik

Lachlan Paterson wrote:

>It becomes valid for XMLbeans if I merely change the order of the sequence, such that
the differing element appears first.

>The spec (http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml/#determinism) says that this issue is Non-normative
- which I take to mean that enforcing this rule is non-standard, so the w3.org validator was
right to pass my original schema.

>Here is a modified schema that will pass everything:
>
><xs:schema
>   xmlns:xs="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema"
>   elementFormDefault="qualified">
>
><xs:element name="x" type="MyType"/>
>
><xs:complexType name="MyType">
>  <xs:choice>
>    <xs:sequence>
>      <xs:element name="c" type="xs:string"/>
>      <xs:element name="a" type="xs:string"/>
>      <xs:element name="b" type="xs:string"/>
>    </xs:sequence>
>    <xs:sequence>
>      <xs:element name="d" type="xs:string"/>
>      <xs:element name="a" type="xs:string"/>
>      <xs:element name="b" type="xs:string"/>
>    </xs:sequence>
>  </xs:choice>
></xs:complexType>
>
></xs:schema>
>

>>Lachlan,
>>
>>It is very strange that the XSV validator does not catch this error as
>>it is definitely invalid. The basic premise is that when there is a
>>choice, there can be no particles in its options that can be ambitious:
>>for an element to be valid for a choice, the validator must be able to
>>determine in the very beginning to which of the different choices it
>>should match...
>>
>>A less confusing explanation can be found in the Spec:
>>http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-1/#non-ambig
>>
>>Mik
>>

>>Lachlan Paterson wrote:
>>

>>>I attempted to run scomp, using a simple schema that contains a choice between
two sequences, and I received this error: