xml-xmlbeans-user mailing list archives

From "Eric Vasilik" <eric...@bea.com>
Subject RE: versioning of beans
Date Tue, 13 Jul 2004 16:14:03 GMT
I do not believe that this is the case.  In general, the serialization
of the generated XmlBeans is not a primary use case.  The architecture
of XmlBeans is that there is a store of the XML which preserves the full
XML Infoset.  When one gets an XmlObject (or a generated XmlBean), this
object is merely one 'view' of the XML in the store.  Other views are
XmlCursor, DOM, XMLStreamReader, etc.

Thus, saving the objects associated with any one view of the XML is not
as preferable as simply saving the XML which is in the store.  Later,
you can load the XML and re-acquire any particular view you want.

Now, XmlBeans are capable of serializing XmlObjects.  We write out the
major and minor versions of the current version of XmlBeans as well as
the name of the Java class associated with the type of the XmlBean.  We
then save the XML into the ObjectOutputStream.  So, serialVersionUID is
not used.

- Eric

http://serialver.sourceforge.net/.