xml-xsp-dev mailing list archives

From Donald Ball <ba...@webslingerZ.com>
Subject Re: XSP Spec
Date Wed, 08 Nov 2000 06:05:36 GMT
On Tue, 7 Nov 2000, Matt Sergeant wrote:

> On Mon, 6 Nov 2000, Kevin Sonney wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 6 Nov 2000, Matt Sergeant wrote:
> > > OK, shall we get started?
> >
> > Please! Before I get into it, though, this is *ALL* based on my cocon
> > experience. I probably mention it several time below.
> >
> > Donald will be much better, I think, at explaining some of the constructs
> > as they satnd, but hetre's my best shot. Appologies in advance for any
> > misconceptions I might have.
> >
> > > xsp:structure
> > >   I'd like someone else to fill this in.
> >
> > xsp:structure defines, as I understand it, global structers for the
> > class. It's the parent element for xsp:include
>
> Since we're moving forwards, is it really required?

ricardo had suggestion that we might move class-level variable
declarations to xsp:structure, e.g.

<xsp:structure>
 <xsp:logic>
  Hashtable cache_table = new Hashtable();
 </xsp:logic>
</xsp:structure>

> > Correct. I'd also like to propose the following :
> >
> > xsp:variable
> >   reason: to create a variable definitions
> >   context: /xsp:structure/xsp:logic/
> >   results: language dependant
> >
> > Now, this *COULD* be a thread safety issue in Java, so it would be best to
> > document this for "global flags" or something. I would be using it so that
> > this :
> >
> > <xsp:variable name="debug_trace_info" type="boolean">true</xsp:variable>

> > would result in this java code :
> >
> > private static boolean debug_trace_info = true;
>
> Personally I'd rather see you just type this in the logic section - it
> haw no analogy in Perl, and I don't think it does in anything other than
> C++...

i concur. variable declaration and definition syntax and semantics are
highly language dependent.

> I thought XSP 1.1 was going to extend this though, to allow a child tag to
> define the element name...

yeah, ricardo had suggested some syntax, can't recall what it was. i guess
we can make one up since he still hasn't chimed in yet (though he is
subscribed, no fear).

> What I really mean here, is we've got <xsp:comment>comment
> text</xsp:comment>, do we also
> allow: <xsp:comment><xsp:expr>...</xsp:expr></xsp:comment> ???

sure.

- donald