xml-xsp-dev mailing list archives

From Matt Sergeant <m...@sergeant.org>
Subject Re: Encoding and Ext. Entities (was Deprecating the <xsp:page> root element)
Date Thu, 09 Nov 2000 14:36:13 GMT
On Thu, 9 Nov 2000, Robin Green wrote:

> "The Java compiler and other Java tools can only process files which contain
> Latin-1 and/or Unicode-encoded (\udddd notation) characters.
> native2ascii converts files which contain other character encodings into
> files containing Latin-1 and/or Unicode-encoded charaters."

Yikes - how odd that Java is so forward looking in Unicode, yet the
parsers can't cope with UTF encoded files directly (that is what
the above says, right?). *shrug*

Anyway, I think your solution is better, robin. It certainly sounds more
like the right thing to do. FWIW, its a non-issue in Perl, in case anyone
was wondering.

--
<Matt/>

    /||    ** Director and CTO **