From Stephane Hillion <Stephane.Hill...@sophia.inria.fr>
Subject Re: CSS units
Date Fri, 05 Jan 2001 06:25:53 GMT
"Arnold, Curt" wrote:

> There was a little thread on www-svg (and parallel on svg-developers) between Jon Ferraiolo
and myself on Section 7.10 that discusses how CSS units like "pt" and "cm" are handled in
the Candidate
> Recommendation (which followed up earlier discussions in svg-developers).  The most relevant
messages are:

> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-svg/2000Dec/0033.html
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-svg/2000Dec/0035.html
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-svg/2001Jan/0003.html
>
> I was wondering if anyone on this list:
>
> a) Thought that Section 7.10 was too vague

Not more or less than the other sections of the spec ;)

> b) could describe how Batik currently converts explicit units into user units
> c) timing or plans to bring that in conformance with the candidate recommendation

Batik is in conformance with (our interpretation of) the november candidate recommendation.

> d) places to hack to test alternative approaches

org.apache.batik.util.UnitProcessor contains the conversion methods (btw it contains the old
algorithm, commented).
It is used everywhere in Batik when conversions are needed. The most important client of UnitProcessor
are the classes of the bridge (org.apache.batik.refimpl.bridge.*).

> e) known performance issues

The old way to compute units required to compute the transformation matrix from the current
element to the nearest viewport, including the computation of the preserveAspectRatio transform.
It
required also to recompute the document from scratch when zooming.
The new one only requires a product...