From Thierry Kormann <Thierry.Korm...@sophia.inria.fr>
Subject Re: Rasterizing via API
Date Mon, 29 Jan 2001 18:26:20 GMT

> When I tried to run the sample you gave off of the command line, I found out
> that it wanted to open up a GUI (I was logged into a remote shell account).
>  When I exported the DISPLAY variable to my local workstation, the rasterizer
> worked beautifully.  (although nothing ever really displayed on screen).  So,
> it seems as if there is some awt or swing code maybe mixed up in there
> somewhere... (?)

good news that it works. That's true that each time you use some AWT classes,
(even if there is no GUI) every thing should work as you will have a GUI
(DISPLAY variable...). It's the fault of the AWT package :(

I think the AWT needs to deal closely with the X server and even start a
dedicated thread (that's why an application using AWT does not quit at the end
of the main method for example and that you have to do a System.exit manually).

> I don't know if this is related to my servlet problem or not -- maybe this is
> just Tomcat's way of gakking on gui stuff?

I haven't tried yet to implement a servlet but I think it should work if every
thing is initialized.

Thierry.

--
Thierry Kormann