From Pedro Morais <p...@rnl.ist.utl.pt>
Subject Transcoding: how to specify URI handler
Date Mon, 23 Jul 2001 20:03:36 GMT
Hi!
I'm using the png transcoder to convert a SVG file read froma stream to a PNG image:
PNGTranscoder png = new PNGTranscoder();
png.transcode(new TranscoderInput(new FileInputStream(inputFilename)),
 	      new TranscoderOutput(new FileOutputStream(outputFilename)));

Currently, the SVG file is self contained, that is, it has no external references.

The SVG files are generated from a XSLT transformation; however, I've got several
kinds of transformations,  and several XSL stylesheets.
The SVG file share common elements; right now I define <symbol>'s in each
of the separate XSLs. I'd like to define the symbols in a separe file, and
use references to that file in the resulting SVGs.
That way the SVGs symbols could be modified without reapplying the stylesheet.

However, since the SVG is read from a stream, it can't resolve the references
to external files! What I'd like to do is set some handler in the transcoder,
so that when it needs to access, let's say, businessobjects.svg I can open
the stream and give the file back to the trancoder.
Is it possible?
Or is there a simpler way to do it?

Thanks in advance.
(by the way, great work, guys!)