From Peter Becker <pbec...@meganesia.int.gu.edu.au>
Subject Re: Orthogonal Question: SVG from Powerpoint?
Date Sat, 07 Jul 2001 06:07:53 GMT
Hello Denny,

after Thierrys post I tried some SVG exports with OpenOffice build 632
on Windows 98. Results where quite good, some problems arose with
gradient fills (sometimes not bounded, exported as paths that don't
scale well), otherwise I had no problems. I didn't try the PPT import
but probably they kept the filters from StarOffice 5.x which did a
reasonable well job with the important parts.

AFAIK there will be no official OpenOffice release lower than 6 -- the
other releases are the commercial StarOffice releases by
StarDivision/Sun (which will continue in a Mozilla/Netscape or
Netbeans/Forte fashion). The current builds seem rather stable and
usable, although I didn't test them too hard ;-)

Seems to be a nice free way to get SVGs -- once you get accustomed to
the cluttered user interface ;-) More (including downloads) on
http://www.openoffice.org

SO 5.2 is still my favored conversion tool for Windows *g* -- maybe I'll
switch to OpenOffice now.

HTH,
  PeterB