From Bill Haneman <bill.hane...@sun.com>
Subject Re: jpeg to svg
Date Mon, 16 Jul 2001 15:54:49 GMT
Raju Dave wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is it possible to convert jpeg image into svg format with batik?

Well, yes and no.

SVG (Scalable "Vector" Graphics) is a vector (line-and-shape-oriented)
format, jpeg is a raster ("pixel-based") format.  So the two are
inherently different, and in fact the usual way of including
pixel/bitmap data in an SVG file is via an included image element:

<svg>
  <image xlink:href="myimage.jpeg"/>
</svg>

The above code is technically SVG, but you see that the SVG format
just passes the work of encoding pixels to the contained image
element.

-Bill