From Bill Haneman <bill.hane...@sun.com>
Subject Re: Weird Exception
Date Wed, 18 Jul 2001 13:13:15 GMT
Rossen Hristov wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I developed several applications using Batik to generate SVG-s. My
> development environment is Win2000 and everything ran perfectly, I generated
> lots of nice charts etc. But when I deployed my module to the real server
> which is RedHat Linux 2.2.14-5.0smp and I tried to run the thing look what I
> got:
>
>  Exception:  java.lang.InternalError: Can't connect to X11 window server
> using ':0.0' as the value of the DISPLAY variable.
[snip]

Hi Rossen:

AWT requires X even if you are not using the display.  I believe that
this dependency may have been removed in JDK 1.4, but in the meantime
this is a known limitation.  If you set your DISPLAY environment
variable correctly and have permission to connect to the X server
things should run fine.

Admittedly this can be inconvenient in a server-side environment.
There are some workarounds including using a "virtual" X server, you
may wish to check the batik-users archives as this topic comes up
frequently.

Best regards,

Bill