From Thomas E Deweese <thomas.dewe...@kodak.com>
Subject Using Batik outside of Java
Date Tue, 11 Sep 2001 17:44:48 GMT

DW> Is it possible to use JSVGCanvas from a language other than Java?
DW> I'm implementing an SVG project using Lisp (with a GUI built using
DW> the Allegro Lisp for Windows 'common graphics' package).

    It's probably possible, but I don't think it would be easy.  It is
possible for example to embed a JVM in another application using the
JNI interface.  However as a highly graphical package you would need
some way to integrate the two GUIs which I think would be next to
impossible.

    I say this just so someone could prove me wrong of course :)

    Perhaps a more tenable solution (although still pretty difficult)
would be to use the Batik rendering engine to feed you BufferedImages
which you can obtain via JNI or perhaps via a PNG over IPC.  This
would probably be significantly slower but might be workable.  The IPC
thing would actually be fairly easy, but would probably not be highly
interactive.