From Thomas E Deweese <thomas.dewe...@kodak.com>
Subject Re: JPEG - image color
Date Mon, 15 Oct 2001 13:26:44 GMT

VH> Bala, Bala Bharathan wrote:
>>  Hello -
>>
>> Is there any control over the color characteristics of the JPEG
>> generated from SVG ?

VH> There is no simple way today. [...]

>> I find the generated image has the color depth of 24bits.  However,
>> JPEG standards could have different color depth such as 1bit,
>> 8bits.

   Hmm, while what you say above may be strictly true, my guess is
that you are confusing formats.  JPEG as is widely available on the
net has _no_ 1bit per pixel (or sample) version.  There is something
called JBIG (related to JPEG) that is used in some very specialized
areas (I'm mostly familiar with medical) that is lossless and might
support 1Bit but this is certainly not a standard thing.

   JPEG does support 8bit but only for grayscale images.  Now GIF on
the other hand has 1bit and 8bit color support (although no true color
support).  However most SVG content would not convert to GIF really
well due to anti-aliasing, instead PNG is used for line-art
applications.