From "Randall Parker" <randa...@nls.net>
Subject Re: More on RAND/RF issues
Date Tue, 09 Oct 2001 22:50:40 GMT
Vincent,

Have you seen this?
   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-patentpolicy-comment/2001Oct/0555.html

IMO, at a very minimum if a standard depends on particular patents then the W3C should make
a rule that it will NOT ever release a recommendation unless all patents applicable to it
are
listed in advance along with the RAND/RF status of each applicable patent.

Also, if the W3C consortium goes thru with this policy of allowing RAND patents as necessary
to implement W3C standards then the licensing terms for those patents should be required to

be in public view.

Frankly, I think that the W3C is making a huge mistake here. Some of the standards that it
puts forth will have no open source implementations if it continues down this route and competing

open source standards will be developed by others. If the W3C wants to fork the web I guess
that is up to them though.