From Vincent Hardy <vincent.ha...@sun.com>
Subject Re: HP and their plans for Batik
Date Tue, 02 Oct 2001 07:41:53 GMT
Randall,

Randall Parker wrote:

> Vincent,
>
> Correct me if I'm wrong: One or more of the patent holders who claim thart SVG
> uses patents could demand that all software that does stuff with SVG could
> demand a royalty payment for the use of Batik.

Before I answer, let me point out that this *is not* an
SVG specific issue and this *is not*, a Batik specific issue. While
it is good that we discuss the issue here, I think it is important
to realize that this is a very broad issue: the patent situation
for implementations of standard (or recommendation).

> This is the issue: Will the patent claims made by the vendors at this page:
>    http://www.w3.org/2001/07/SVG10-IPR-statements.html
>  who have "RAND" (Reasonable and non-discriminatory terms) in their License
> Summary column demand patent payments from the Batik project developers
> and/or users?
>
> What have Apple, IBM, Eastman Kodak, and Quark said on this issue? Any idea?

At this time, I am not aware of any patent claim which applies to
SVG as the summary in
http://www.w3.org/2001/07/SVG10-IPR-statements.html
explains (there is also a reference to the individual companies
statements
on that page, and these represent their official statement to W3C).

Regards,
Vincent.