From Peter Becker <pbec...@meganesia.int.gu.edu.au>
Subject Different Image Transcoders
Date Sat, 20 Oct 2001 03:12:27 GMT
Hello,

Roland Schulz and I had a discussion on the XWeb-developer list about
using different transcoders for bitmap images. Currently I use Batik for
SVGs and Jimi for BufferedImages in XWeb, which seems kind of redundant
since I use Jimi only to export PNGs and JPGs.

By now it seems Sun finally did decide on which library they want to use
for writing images and even put this into JDK 1.4 (javax.imageio) --
I'll change XWeb to use either this or to use Batiks encoders.

The reason for this mail is that I wonder if Batik will use/support
javax.imageio in the near future. If this should be planned I won't
start trying to use Batiks PNG and JPG classes since Suns library is
probably more flexible (didn't check it out yet, but I'd think so).

Thanks,
  Peter