From "Boshnyak, Steven J" <steven.j.boshn...@lmco.com>
Subject Help with Batik
Date Thu, 25 Oct 2001 13:42:36 GMT
Hello,

My name is Steve and I recently downloaded Batik as part of a prototyping
effort to use SVG in a Unix (Solaris) environment.  At this point in time I
am using a Windows NT machine to check out the Batik installation.  I
unzipped the Batik 1.0 installation and tried to use both the Batik
application and batik-svgbrowser.  Both would allow me to browse for the svg
files (samples directory) but when I selected a file to load I would get the
wait cursor and the "Loading document..." display in the lower right corner.
The file never loaded and I had to close the application.

I then tried compiling the SVGApplication.java program.  I had extracted the
org.apache.batik... into the "org" directory (folder) and it resides at the
C: level on my NT machine.  I cleared the CLASSPATH (set CLASSPATH=) and
made sure my PATH had the jdk path in it.  I did a 'javac
SVGApplication.java' and it compiled with no errors.  I then ran the
application.  After browsing to the samples directory of Batik and selecting
a .svg file to load, I got the following:

C:\>java SVGApplication
java.lang.NoSuchMethodError
   at org.apache.batik.dom.util.SAXDocumentFactory.createDocument
     (SAXDocumentFactory.java:181)
   at org.apache.batik.dom.svg.SAXSVGDocumentFactory.createDocument
     (SAXSVGDocumentFactory.java:96)
   at org.apache.batik.bridge.DocumentLoader.loadDocument
     (DocumentLoader.java:85)
   at org.apache.batik.swing.svg.SVGDocumentLoader.run
     (SVGDocumentLoader.java:69)

C:\>

Bill Haneman at batik-developers was kind enough to give me some information
about what I was doing wrong.  He suggested that I clear the CLASSPATH and
make sure I remove all libraries which use the W3C's DOM bindings from
jre/lib/ext.  I checked this directory and there are no files in it.

I can open a browser (Netscape 4.7 with the Adobe SVG viewer plug-in) and
read the svg files in with no problem.

I would appreciate any help with this.  I am at a loss as to what I am doing
wrong.  As far as I can tell I've done things the way they are supposed to
be done.

Anyway, if there is any information you can pass on that might help I would
be grateful.

Thanks for your time,

Steve