From "J. David Eisenberg" <catc...@catcode.com>
Subject Re: Scaling Graphics
Date Tue, 05 Mar 2002 19:50:09 GMT
On Tue, 5 Mar 2002, Swearingen, David W. wrote:

> I'm hoping this is the right forum for this question:
>
> We'd like to create some graphical icons in Batik for use as buttons in a
> web interface.  Imagine simple little icons with images of cars, people,
> buildings, etc, composed of lines and other primitives.  We'd like to be
> able to dynamically scale these images.  Is there a "global" scaling feature
> in SVG?  All I've seen in my limited experience is individual scaling for
> every primitive in the drawing.
>
> E.g., I create a simple drawing of a car in JASC WebDraw.
> I grab all the elements and scale them simultaneously with the mouse.
> WebDraw adds "transform" attributes to EACH element rather than some kind of
> transform tag around the entire document.  Does this mean that I can't scale
> the whole drawing with one simple element?

I don't know if WebDraw will let you do this, but you can establish a
"group" of objects with the <g> element and apply transformations to them
all. The following example will translate and scale both the circle and
the rectangle.

<g transform="translate(5, 7) scale(2)">
   <circle cx="10" cy="10" r="2"/>
   <rect x="50" y="50" width="10" height="5"/>
</g>

Is there a "group objects" option in WebDraw? (I don't know; I do all my
SVG by hand. The hard way.)

--
J. David Eisenberg  http://catcode.com/