From "Steven Dow" <s...@instepsoftware.com>
Subject RE: Extensions for additional image types
Date Tue, 02 Apr 2002 22:35:08 GMT

Has anyone attempted to write an extension for Batik to interpret
additional file formats using the PNGRegistryEntry and JPEGRegistryEntry
source code as examples?  I am thinking about writing an extension for
.CIT images, but I want to check first...

a)  Has someone already programmed an extension for .CIT and are you
willing to share?

b)  Is there anyone who has written an extension for .GIF or some other
image format that could help me understand what is involved with that
endeavor?

Any help would be great.

Steven Dow
Instep Software

-----Original Message-----
From: Thomas E Deweese [mailto:thomas.deweese@kodak.com]
Sent: Wednesday, February 13, 2002 4:23 PM
To: Batik Users
Subject: Extensions for additional image types

SD> Does anyone know how to extend the SVG viewer to handle image
SD> files in addition to JPG and PNG such as TIF or CIT?

    Batik already supports most forms of Tiff (Just use it in an image
tag).

    As for adding additional file types,

    1) There is some documentation on this at our Web site:
       http://xml.apache.org/batik/extendingBatik.html#imageTagFormats

    2) You can look at how the current PNG and Tiff stuff is done
       (they are essentially just built in extensions).

    Taking a wild guess (based on the CIT request) you may be coming
from the JAI world, in which case it should be a relatively small
amount of work to repurpose an existing JAI reader for Batik (they use
many of the same concepts/interfaces).