From Thomas E Deweese <thomas.dewe...@kodak.com>
Subject Fonts, SVG-DOM
Date Mon, 12 Aug 2002 14:48:34 GMT
>>>>> "ij" == iztok jeras <iztok.jeras@rattus.info> writes:

ij> I vould like to create some JavaScript that vould:
ij> - transform arcs into cubic B├ęzier curves
ij> - transform styled paths into fill areas
ij> - apply custom strokes to paths
ij> - apply transforms to path data

ij> This scripts can be used in SVG creation tools

ij> Q: Are any of this tools already a part of Batik?

    Well as Batik is built on Java2D using Java (not
JavaScript/ECMAScript) you can most of what you are asking for above
(not sure what you mean by custom strokes).

ij> To achieve this the most standard way vould be to use standard
ij> SVG-DOM interfaces for paths.
ij> http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/paths.html#DOMInterfaces

ij> Q: Are there any examples of usage of this interfaces in
ij> JavaScript

    I think that you will find doing stroking correctly in JavaScript
to be quite chalenging.

ij> Batik does not support horiz-origin-x and horiz-origin-y for
ij> defining the font coordinate system.  I would like to transform my
ij> fonts to TrueType and this is why I need the tools listed on the
ij> top (TrueType does not support arcs and I have stroke only SVG
ij> fonts, that have to be transformed into fils).

    I think Java + Batik provides all the pieces you need but there
will likely be significant work needed to put them togeather.  I would
suggest working from the GVT representation of the SVG file (it
includes classes to represent SVG Fonts as Java2D objects).

    Good luck.