From Thomas E Deweese <thomas.dewe...@kodak.com>
Subject SVG and <EMBED> tags
Date Mon, 12 Aug 2002 21:58:41 GMT

CHW> I have an SVG question, but it is not directly a Batik question.
CHW> I am hoping someone who is familiar with SVG might be on this
CHW> list and can help.

CHW> I have an SVG that takes a long time to generate (we use some
CHW> JSPs to generate a dynamic traceroute) and we want to display a
CHW> 'tracing' message display while the process is going on.  In GIF
CHW> land, we put up one image ('tracing') and then use the <body
CHW> onLoad=""> to run a script to load (altering the element.src
CHW> attribute) the longer-loading images.  I tried to do the
CHW> equivalent with the <EMBED> tag, giving it an ID, and an initial
CHW> SVG that says 'tracing'.  That part works.  WhenI look up the
CHW> element (document.getElementById('SVG')) and then alter its src
CHW> attribute, it does not reload.

CHW> Does anyone know how to get a SVG url to reload like this?

     You might try having your SVG reference the 'tracing' message
through an 'image' element (<image xlink:href="tracing.svg"/>) Then
when the tracing is finished change the xlink:href attribute of the
image element to point to the completed document.

     Be aware that in the ASV the referenced image must be static, if
this is not acceptable there are further hacks like using 'getURL' and
'parseXML' to actually add the computed document to the current one
(but this is a pretty ugly hack).

     Hope this helps.