From "Mark Vidov" <mvi...@hotmail.com>
Subject How to improve load time of PNG images?
Date Mon, 12 Aug 2002 17:24:00 GMT
What can be done to improve load times of PNG images? Can batik be made to
use JAI and its native libraries? Is there a portion of batik that that can
be optimized or skipped to improve this specific case (eg decoding, scaling,
rendering)?

Some details:

I'm using batik to display very simple svgs consisting of an image tag and a
handful of simple elements (text, rect). The images are PNG files, with a
typical file being 3200 x 2200 x 4 color (file size around 240KB).

Load times in squiggle (PIII 1000MHz, GeForce2) are 6-8 seconds (GVT build
around 3500ms and GVT render around 3500ms). Total load time in Adobe SVG is
less than 1 second.

scaling (Image.SCALE_FAST) is around 10 seconds.

However when I use JDK 1.4.0 with JAI 1.1.1 java rendering drops to less
than 2 seconds. Using the same JDK and JAI with squiggle produces no
improvement.

I'm wondering why JAI adds no benefit. The comparison to Adobe is also
shocking. (Adobe also uses some smoothing to make my PNG files look much
better than in batik.)

This issue is critical and my only alternative seems to be to wrap Adobe
with JNI (a big pain since Adobe no longer supports its COM interfaces).

Any ideas or comments would be much appreciated.