From "Nicholas Hemley" <Nicholas.Hem...@lhb.scot.nhs.uk>
Subject Re: SVG->JPEG Transcoder funny business
Date Tue, 17 Sep 2002 14:17:23 GMT
Charlie

Many thanks for your prompt reply. (I got a message from the list manager saying that the
message was too large, so will repost)

Well, the process I have got going is a good one apart from a few teething problems. The SVG
Template is generated from Adobe Illustrator 10 and then I do the calculations on the fly
and then transform it into the final product using Xalan 2.4 (pretty fast and uses the TRAX
API).

Would it be possible to forward me a set of SVG tags that are transcoder friendly? That would
be really useful.

The alternative is to return the content type image/svg+xml from the servlet (less processing
overhead) but currently Internet Explorer (and SVG Viewer 3.0) mess up when using this method.
Any ideas?

Cheers,
Nic.

>>> chw@clearmetrix.com 09/17/02 02:59pm >>>
Nicholas:

The JPEG translator, when I used it was fussier about your SVG than the
Adobe plugin.  I think, for example, that it did not like/support a
viewBox in the <svg> tag.

To make 'portable' SVG that can be transcoded into JPEG, we had to work
on our templates by hand until we had a set that were transcoder-friendly.

What XSL transformation engine are you using?    We used JSPs and hand
generated the SVG, but I like the idea of using XSL in a servlet to
address this need.

Charlie

Nicholas Hemley wrote:

>Hello
>
>I have a servlet that performs an XSL transformation on an SVG template in order to draw
dynamic graphs.

>My problem is this: When I output an SVG textfile from the servlet and load this using
Internet Explorer+SVGViewer3.0  the picture is fine. But when I use Batik to generate a JPEG
from the SVG, it creates a mess. Am I doing something wrong? Am I using unsupported features?
I enclose the SVG and generated JPEG so you can see exactly what is happening...any help would
be appreciated.

>Regards,
>Nic Hemley

>The information contained in this message may be confidential or legally privileged and
is intended for the addressee only,

>If you have received this message in error or there are any problems please notify the
originator immediately.

>The unauthorised use, disclosure, copying or alteration of this message is strictly forbidden.

Charles H. Woloszynski

ClearMetrix, Inc.
115 Research Drive
Bethlehem, PA 18015